Remember when the blog world discovered sunflower seed butter? Nut butter fanatics everywhere went gaga. It was my favorite drizzle for over a year, and I barely ate peanut butter at all.
I think the trend went like this:
all kinds of crazy peanut butter –> almond butter –> multi butters –> sunflower butter –> –> Cookie butter –> full circle peanut butter
When Mazen started preschool, I had to pack nut free lunches for years. He ate so much sunflower butter that he stopped eating it. At the same time, I started buying the Sunbutter brand at Whole Foods so I didn’t have to make a second trip to Trader Joe’s. On my recent trip to TJs I picked up a jar of the original TJs sunflower butter and OMG I FELL IN LOVE AGAIN! It is NOT the same as Sunbutter – it’s way better! Drippier and not as earthy. SB is back.
Also on the breakfast train…
Smoothies galore. And peaches out of our ears. So summery good!
Lunches This Week
There was also a time, I think before I was even pregnant with Birch and into first trimester sickness, where I had lost my taste for salads. I totally lost my salad groove, which was sad because a salad bowl is my favorite kind of lunch.
Smoked Chicken Salad
Well that taste is back! We had really good smoked chicken that Thomas grilled on the egg on Sunday. I put that over a salad with honey almonds, TJs Unexpected Cheddar (you guys were right – it’s awesome!), and a simple homemade dressing with EVOO, dijon mustard, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper. Extra honey drizzle on top! Plus corn chips on the side.
DIY Roots Bowls
Another day Hillary + Ellen came over for a lunch date. We made DIY Roots bowls! Hillary brought BBQ roasted tofu and sweet potatoes, I made the salad base with greens, avocado, cheese, and tomatoes, and Ellen brought chips, drinks, and cookies! I think dried cranberries and honey roasted chickpeas were also involved. It was an epic salad!
We generally have been ordering two Plenty entrees each week and having those on our busiest nights and then doing simple recipes the other nights. Life with two kids is no joke! Especially during the summertime when the neighborhood pack of boys is still running through one door and out the other at 6:00pm.
Ravioli with Peas + Leftover Smoked Chicken
Simple homemade meal. This was TJs lemon ricotta ravioli and it was AWESOME! Especially since I’ve been digging all things lemon zest this year.
Plenty Salmon Kebobs with Couscous Salad
Greek yogurt on the side!
Two treadmill runs, two soccer games! All sweat.
Common Home Made Remedies for Pearly Penile Papules When it comes to treating pearly penile papules many people find it very difficult to reach one of the medical treatments. This is mainly because they are highly expensive and not many people can afford to spend large amounts of money on surgery and recovery. In addition…Read More
What Are Pearly Penile Papules? Pearly penile papules are small bumps which appear on the head of the penis. This condition is a skin problem which is only common in men. If you are experiencing such a problem you probably know that there is no medicine which can treat this condition. Moreover, if you do…Read More
I didn’t think Daniela’s first birthday would be emotional for me, but here we are on her birthday and I’m feeling all sorts of feelings.
Daniela is 1! We all agree that the last year has absolutely flown by. Someone asked me how the first few months were as a mom to four children. To be honest, I don’t remember most of it. I have a few vague memories here and there. Soon after she was born I was home alone with Daniela and my neighbor came over with a gift and to stay for an hour, and that chat was like a lifeline. Another day I remember a stranger stopping me at the grocery store to shame me for bringing a newborn out in winter. That felt bad. I remember going out to dinner with Trig and the baby and she slept through a three hour fantastic date and I felt so victorious. It’s so funny the things we remember.
I don’t remember the summer at all! How did I take the kids in the pool while taking care of the baby? I can’t remember!
Anyway, today is Daniela’s birthday and the kids had to hop on the bus before even seeing their baby. They made me promise to make tonight extra special for her, so Valentina, Daniela and I are off on a birthday party mission! We need balloons, a cake, and food for dinner. We also need to buy her a birthday gift! Poor fourth kid ha!
I asked each of the big kids what their favorite Daniela memory is from the last year. None of the kids could choose just one so I’m sharing them all:
Raffi, age 7:
He loves that as a newborn he got to hold and snuggle her every night while I showered. (I don’t remember this.)
He loves how mad she gets when they take a tiny toy away from her.
Alessandra, age 5:
She loves that Daniela loves her the most. (hahaha!!!! I’m writing these verbatim and I am cracking up.)
She loves how Daniela tries to eat everyone’s shoes all the time.
She loves that Daniela lets her put blankets all around her until she’s a Daniela-volcano.
Valentina, age 3:
She loves how cute Daniela is.
She loves that Daniela gets to go in her preschool class to drop her off.
She loves how Daniela attacks her all the time.
Here are some fun facts about Daniela:
- She will tolerate so much from all the kids. They dress her up, they make her join them in their forts, they try to put bows in her hair, etc etc and she takes it all.
- She is not walking. She is extremely cautious! She can stand on her own if she doesn’t know she’s doing it, but the minute she becomes aware she holds on to the furniture for survival lol
- Daniela is so attached to me, more than any of the other kids ever were. When she sees me she immediately reaches for me. She cries when I won’t hold her. Most afternoons I cook dinner with Daniela on one hip or attached to my leg.
- Daniela loves Hatchimals! She does not put them in her mouth and she will play with them, making similar character noises like the big girls do, for hours.
- She will put anything else in her mouth, but like my smart babe she will stare really hard at me before trying to eat contraband.
- The pool at our gym is Daniela’s absolute favorite place on Earth. When we walk into the changing room next to the pool she starts freaking out, flapping her arms and squealing. It is adorable!
- Daniela won’t drink cow’s milk. This is becoming a problem! She chucks it right off the high chair and won’t snuggle to drink it either.
- She loves the dishwasher as much or even more than Raffi did. After I empty it in the morning she will spend 30 minutes putting a single spoon in and out of it. Funny girl.
- Baby dolls might be Daniela’s favorite toy. She loves giving dolls, stuffed animals, and humans lots of hugs. You say “huggy” and she will hug you!
- Daniela’s eaten Lucky Charms marshmallows, an Oreo, a piece of homemade sugar cookie and some ice cream and she just turned 1 today! You can thank the 3 big kids for all of those treats!!!
- Daniela’s favorite foods: Baba’s pancakes, strawberries, cantaloupe, blueberries, cheese sticks, steak, hamburgers, raw green beans, grapes, peanut butter crackers, Goldfish stolen from Ali, bananas, applesauce pouches, salmon, and pasta.
- Daniela’s favorite things are her big fluffy blankie she sleeps with every night, her little Jellycat bun bun blanket, her sisters’ Corolle dolls, toy eggs, holding spoons, the Nugget couch, and being entertained by Raffi, Alessandra, and Valentina.
- Daniela hates: being left alone, when someone shuts off the music, being buckled into her car seat, being cold, the bath (like really, really hates it), dogs (she’s frightened)
Happy birthday Daniela! We love you!
Through the year….
What are the different mindsets There is a psychological trait that all successful people appear to have in common. It’s been cosigned by Bill Gates and NASA. They use it as a criteria for selecting potential Systems Engineers. This concept is called the growth mindset, a term originally coined by Carol Dweck. People with the…Read More
I am pretty sure I’ve only missed 6 days total of blogging over the last 9ish years:). Yesterday was just not my day and I cried more than I didn’t but how do we know the good days without the really terrible ones, right? My little family is all great (no worries!!!) but some days just stink so thank goodness for cuddles, my little Baron/Brooke clan and running:)
I would love to hear from you today! Fill me in with what’s going on in your life and I’ll have an overly detailed post tomorrow:). Hope you are doing well and today is already off to a much better start over here!
What is the obesity rate in Japan When it comes to health, the weight, of course, is not everything. But since there are so many health complications from being overweight or obese. I guess it’s safe to say that Japan with an obesity rate of 3.5% is generally healthier than America with an obesity rate…Read More